Lisha A. Seery, LLC

Keep Control Of Your Affairs By Establishing Your Power Of Attorney

Who would make important financial and health care decisions for you if you were to suddenly become incapacitated? The answer to this question does not have to be left to chance or in the hands of a judge. By establishing powers of attorney, you can place those critical decisions in the hands of people you trust.

At Lisha A. Seery, LLC, we can guide you through the process of establishing powers of attorney and other estate planning documents that protect your assets and wishes. We provide more than 20 years of legal experience to clients in Springfield and southwest Missouri.

General Durable Power Of Attorney

The scope of a general power of attorney, also known as a durable POA, can be as broad or narrow as you want it to be. It may be used to give one person the authority to conduct financial transactions, manage bank accounts and investments, sign checks, and perform other financial and legal duties.

Financial Power Of Attorney

Probably the most important document anyone can have is a financial power of attorney. The common misconception is that a spouse automatically has authority to deal with the husband or wife’s assets in the event they become incompetent. That is not the case. If a husband or wife holds an asset in his or her name alone, the spouse has no authority whatsoever to manage that asset even if they are named as a beneficiary or a pay-on-death recipient.

Springing Power Of Attorney

A springing power of attorney only goes into effect when certain conditions are met. Typically, the incapacity of the principal — the person for whom the decisions are made — is the condition that must be met before this limited power of attorney becomes effective.

Health Care Power Of Attorney

In order to make sure that your wishes are carried out while you are still alive, but not competent, you must have a health care power of attorney. This will allow someone you trust to make decisions on your behalf should you become unable to do so.

Powers Of Attorney For The Care Of Minor Children

If a family member or friend has entrusted you with the care of their child(ren), then you will need either a power of attorney for the care of a child or you will need to obtain a guardianship over the child so that you are able to enroll the child in school, take the child to the doctor and in all other respects act as a custodian for the child.

An Experienced Lawyer Can Guide You Through The Details

Attorney Lisha Prater Seery and our legal team can help you through the process of establishing powers of attorney in Missouri. Contact us online or by telephone at 417-459-4390 to arrange a consultation with an experienced lawyer.