Lisha A. Seery, LLC

Is Your Loved One No Longer Capable Of Caring For Himself Or Herself?

Establishing legal guardianships and conservatorships can be a stressful, complex process. These matters can often be avoided by establishing durable powers of attorney in advance of incapacity. When a person is unable to make sound decisions for himself or herself, and they have not previously prepared any powers of attorney, it may be necessary to establish a guardianship. A guardianship gives one person the legal authority to make decisions regarding the welfare of another. In this relationship, the person the guardian is caring for is known as the ward.

A conservatorship often goes hand in hand with a guardianship. A conservatorship allows a person to make financial-related decisions for an incapacitated adult.

Is Your Disabled Child About To Turn 18?

If you are the parent of a disabled child, you can no longer act on their behalf when they reach the age of 18. You need to have yourself or another trusted individual appointed as guardian by the court to serve in that capacity. When the ward is an adult, the guardianship or conservatorship does not end until a court deems the ward competent.

Whatever your situation — including matters such as temporary guardianship or appointment as a medical guardian — Lisha A. Seery, LLC, can help you understand your options and guide you through the legal details. Attorney Seery has more than 20 years of experience handling estate planning, probate and elder law matters for clients in Missouri.

Contact An Attorney About Your Guardianship And Conservatorship Needs

Ms. Seery and our legal team will work with you personally to guide you through these complex legal matters. Contact us online or by telephone at 417-459-4390 to schedule your consultation with a knowledgeable probate lawyer in Springfield.